Raising Attainment in Reading in Foundation Stage and Key Stage 1
Developing Effective Guided Reading
This year long professional development course mirrors the highly successful model proficient in Reading Recovery training. Teachers will attend 6 half-day sessions across the year which link theory with practice. As part of the course, teachers will teach a guided reading session for colleagues behind the one-way screen. Schools will be responsible for accompanying their pupils to Oasis Academy Limeside for their guided reading lesson that day.
Common training needs that are included:
- Addressing low book levels in FS and KS1
- Developing strategies that work for pupils finding it hard to make progress in early reading
- Exploring a range of appropriate reading material and becoming more skilled in book levelling and book selection
- Using running record analysis to develop independent reading behaviour
- Developing effective teacher feedback during the independent read
- The interrelationship between reading and writing
- The opportunity to observe live teaching sessions and use this to develop and reflect upon your own practice
Reception, Year 1 and Year 2 teachers
£500 per delegate
£900 for two delegates from the same school
£1300 for three delegates from the same school
It is advised that a minimum of two teachers from a school attend in order to achieve maximum impact back in school. Places will be limited to facilitate greater professional dialogue and maximise attendees’ participation.
Centre for Reading Recovery at Oasis Academy Limeside
7th October 2015, 9am – 12pm and
2nd December 2015, 9am – 12pm and
3rd February 2016, 9am – 12pm and Spring 2: 23rd March 2016, 9am – 12pm and
11th May 2016, 9am – 12pm and
22nd June 2016, 9am – 12pm Please note, the same delegates must attend all six sessions.
“I wish I had done a course like this years ago! I think all teachers should have this experience. I feel so much more confident in what I am doing and I know how to move children on. A huge thank you!”
Summerville Primary, Salford