Join us in shaping the future of the next generation.
Welcome to this exciting opportunity to start your teaching career.
Intensive bespoke support for trainee teachers
Oasis Innovation Teaching School Alliance is working in partnership with The University of Manchester (an outstanding provider of Initial Teacher Training) to offer places on the Primary School Direct course. Throughout the year training is delivered by tutors from The University of Manchester and by outstanding teachers from across our training hub schools. Our small cohort means that you will benefit from intense, bespoke support as you develop in confidence in the classroom.
What are the schools like?
We want you to gain a well-rounded experience of teaching across more than one setting. To achieve this we have carefully selected 3 schools to join our training hub, with each one offering something unique. We offer placements across Oldham and Greater Manchester and our schools are diverse – a mixture of small and medium primary schools including both rural and urban settings. Our schools do have two things in common – all are committed to providing a first class education for their pupils and all are looking forward to recruiting inspiring new teachers who are bright, passionate and ambitious.
This innovative new route into the teaching profession will provide you with the necessary skills to become an outstanding teacher.
Find out more about our School Direct training schools:
What can we offer?
Our team is committed and promises to provide trainees with:
• A PGCE with Masters credits from the University of Manchester as well as Qualified Teacher Status.
• High quality school based training within a range of primary schools combined with on campus study and quality assurance from the University of Manchester.
• Exceptional professional learning opportunities from across our teaching school alliance
• A breadth of continuous professional development and strategic placements to meet personal needs
• Excellent online professional studies education
• A range of experiences within a nurturing environment, quality assured throughout
• A guaranteed interview for employment as well as the opportunity to go into our NQT recruitment pool
• You will be part of Oasis Innovation Teaching School Alliance, meaning you will have access to our wide range of training, cutting edge research projects and other professional development opportunities
Who is this course for?
If you have, or are in the process of gaining a 2.1 degree or better, want to inspire pupils aged 3-11 and wish to learn the latest approaches and strategies to make you a confident and capable teacher, this programme is for you! (Trainees who are likely to achieve a 2:2 Honours degree will be considered depending on other experience).
Our higher education partner is The University of Manchester and you will need to meet their wider entry criteria. In addition you will need a minimum of 5 days primary classroom experience, probably gained through volunteering at a local primary school. Many candidates have much more than the required 5 days and this is an advantage at interview.
A 2:1 or above honours degree in a non-vocational subject. However, vocational subjects may be considered in some circumstances.
Applicants with a 2:2 honours degree may be considered but must be able to demonstrate evidence of higher academic attainment (eg through postgraduate study).
You must also have two A-levels at grade C or above in non-vocational subjects, and a minimum grade C or 4 at GCSE (or equivalent) in English language, mathematics, and science, plus GCSE grade C in at least three other non-vocational subjects.
The interview process
Interviews will take place at regular intervals starting late October. The interview process will take place in one of our training schools. You will be expected to lead a teaching task with a group of children, complete a short presentation and engage in a more formal interview.
What will I gain from this programme?
• Initial teacher training delivered to the highest standard to help you take up your first teaching post with confidence, knowing that you have gained excellence in knowledge’ understanding and skills related to teaching and practical classroom experience.
• A thorough understanding of how to teach the Primary curriculum in creative ways to excite and stimulate children whilst ensuring they make good progress
• A comprehensive knowledge of a specialist subject preparing you to take a leadership role in school. Skills in monitoring and managing your own development and an ability to reflect on alternative approaches to education, will help you to make your own informed choices and aid your career progression.
• Applications are now open – for details on how to apply, see below.
• Interviews will be held at regular intervals throughout the year.
What are my career prospects?
As a community of schools we guarantee that you will receive an interview with any school in the hub that has a suitable vacancy! You will also receive extensive training helping you with job applications, interview techniques and other skills to aid you gaining employment. It is hoped that many of you will be able to complete your NQT year in one of our hub schools.
To be an outstanding teacher takes energy, commitment and dedication. If you feel ready to train within the fast paced, professional environment of a busy school, then the School Direct route may be the best choice for you.
Want to know more?
For more information please get in touch: firstname.lastname@example.org
Click here to find out more information about the School Direct route into teaching.
To apply for teacher training visit the Department for Education’s teacher training website. Search for Oasis Innovation.